CLAYTON — A former youth sports umpire is once again being sued and accused of sexually assaulting an underage coworker.
A teenage girl, using the pseudonym Jane Doe, filed suit this week against Affton Athletic Association and Zachary Barebo. She says Barebo sexually assaulted her in June 2023 when she was 15 years old.
Her suit comes on the heels of a similar suit filed in April, in which Barebo is accused of grooming and sexually assaulting 16-year-old Holly James, who was also an umpire for Affton Athletic, a facility south of Grant’s Farm with more than 10 baseball and softball fields.
Months later, in February 2024, Holly died by suicide. She left a note that blamed her death on the abuse, her family says.
People are also reading…

Barebo
Jane Doe’s attorney, Luke Baumstark, on Friday blamed Affton Athletic for not investigating Barebo before hiring him.
“One young woman has already lost her life over this,†Baumstark said. “The other will go through the vast majority of hers with the memory of what happened to her. Coupled with that memory is going to be the realization that this didn’t have to happen.â€
Affton Athletic Association declined to comment. A man who answered a phone number listed for Barebo hung up on a reporter.
Both lawsuits are connected to a criminal case filed against Barebo.
In September 2023, he was charged with 11 counts of sodomy, child molestation and statutory rape. Nine of those charges accused him of the assaults on Holly and two accused him of sexually assaulting Jane Doe in one incident.
Police said he met up with the girls and assaulted them separately in his car in parking lots in St. Louis County.
Barebo was 23 when the charges were filed.
But after Holly’s death, prosecutors — without Holly as a witness — dismissed all of the charges against Barebo connected to Holly and one charge connected to Jane Doe. The same day, they amended the last remaining charge, for sodomy, to first-degree harassment, court records show.
In December last year, Barebo pleaded guilty to that charge in a deal that did not require him to register as a sex offender, court records show.
He later received a suspended execution of a four-year prison sentence; if he completes five years of probation, he won’t go to prison.
In March, less than two months after he was sentenced, prosecutors asked the court to revoke his probation, citing a violation that was not detailed in public filings. A judge in May kept him on probation, but ordered he serve 120 days on house arrest, take a prison tour, submit to a polygraph test and have his internet usage monitored.
Both lawsuits claim that the the Affton Athletic Association acted negligently in hiring Barebo, who had been investigated and arrested by law enforcement in connection to child sex crimes prior to the June 2023 abuse.
Barebo in 2017 filed to expunge an arrest record for felony sodomy of a minor, the lawsuits say. Online court records indicate the request was dismissed and Sunday’s lawsuit says prosecutors were opposed to the expungement “because there was a sufficient factual basis to substantiate the sodomy.â€
The only criminal case in Missouri court records against Barebo is the one in connection to the Affton Athletic abuse.
“Affton Athletic allowed him to resign instead of being terminated,†this week’s lawsuit said, “despite Barebo’s horrific sexual abuse of children associated with Affton Athletic.â€
Post-Dispatch photographers capture hundreds of images each week; here's a glimpse at the week of June 8, 2025. Video edited by Jenna Jones.